The voluntary sector is working to improve health standards in India in various ways. These include:
- Lobbying and advocacy work in order to make the government and other organisations more effective.
- Expanding health awareness initiatives in order to prevent diseases such as HIV / Aids.
- Interventions targeted at high risk groups such as sex workers, truck drivers and intravenous drug users.
- Promoting community and family-based care to HIV / Aids sufferers.
- Empowering women to take greater control over their reproductive health.
- Working with communities to address the risk of diseases such as diabetes, which are set to rise rapidly.
- Increasing understanding of issues relating to child abuse and adolescent mental health.
- Developing appropriate support structures within communities.